ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management
In a world of rising cost of resources and growing public awareness of the environment an effective Environment Management System (EMS) can give companies a significant competitive advantage. ISO 14001 certification will ensure that your business focuses on its environmental impact, supported by effective management processes.
Part of the ISO 14001 family of international standards covering environmental impact and the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, ISO 14001 is the standard that covers the design and implementation of an EMS. This is a framework designed to measure and improve the way natural resources are used and disposed of by an organisation.
It is a generic standard which means it is applicable to organisations of all shapes and sizes. In some industries, like construction or manufacturing the business benefits are very clear – greater resource efficiency and waste management means lower costs. But even in smaller businesses or service industries 14001 certification shows an organisational commitment to the environment and the more effective use of the world’s resources.
How will ISO 14001 help my business?
A well designed and implemented environmental management system should address the delicate balance between maintaining profitability and reducing environmental impact, and include:
- Streamlining environmental processes, reducing waste and the carbon footprint of your business
- Reducing tax, energy and insurance bills, lowering operating costs
- Reducing the risk of prosecution due to environmental breaches or failure to comply with the law and the associated bad PR
- Providing your business with the credentials to satisfy growing market demand and open up global business opportunities with a recognised mark of environmental efficiency
- Giving clients and those in your supply chain absolute confidence that your business will add value and support them in their own environmental policies.
Perhaps the most important element of ISO 14001 however, is that it is not a one-off exercise with regular reviews keeping the environment at the heart of corporate culture. In a world where environmental impact is of growing importance, an environmental management system can keep you ahead of your competition.
Why do I need certification?
Certification shows that your organisation’s environmental processes have been audited against the ISO 14001 standards. Third party certification provides independent verification and credibility.